Mrs. Brown’s English students spent Tuesday here in the library looking for “dates” with great young adult books. A fun time was had by all, and many of the students went away with a new book to enjoy. Here’s how it worked:
- I set up seven different tables with different genres or categories of books.
- I put together a slideshow to keep the program going. It included some images, tips, and timers for each of the time intervals. I used this slide to explain how the books were selected:
- Next, I share the rules:
- Then, I started some “mood” music, and we began Round 1.
- Those who didn’t choose a book in Round 1 had three more chances.
- Everyone either went away with a book, or with a recommendation list and link to the YALSA Teen Book Finder app for more ideas. Use this QR code to get your own copy of the free app!
See more photos on our Flickr page.
I had so much fun sharing lots of my favorite young adult books with Mrs. Brown’s students. I hope to repeat this activity with other English classes.