Library Orientations

It’s been busy very busy at the Mira Costa High School Library. During our first full week of regular library hours and services, we also began Freshman Orientations through the 9th Grade English classes. Tomorrow, we will be starting week 2 of Freshman Orientations. Each Freshman English class is visiting for two days.

Day 1 of each orientation is a fun lesson and “guessing game” matching library features with iPhone “apps” using this presentation file. For each of the icons on this iPhone image, I describe a feature of the library, and students need to guess which icon I am talking about, and what the app would be called:

Then, we talk a bit more about each “app,” or library feature.

On Day 2, students complete a scavenger hunt, exploring various offerings of the library. Several of the scavenger hunt clues require them to scan and learn about QR codes using a QR code reader. Here, for example, is one of the clue QR codes students scan:

and then need to use our online

Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors are watching a video version of the library orientation:
GoAnimate.com: MCHS Library Orientation Video by Jane Lofton

Like it? Create your own at GoAnimate.com. It’s free and fun!

Not a Mira Costa student? …. Feel free to come by the library during any of the orientations. We love visitors at the library. Or, if you can’t do that, check out the Freshman Orientation lesson, Freshman Scavenger Hunt, or video orientation online.

2 thoughts on “Library Orientations

1. Usual library in US was updated so a need for the student to be oriented on the classification of the books, dos and don’t of the library. It was common that the library was the place for reading and not time to take some unnecessary stuff. Well same as me I love orientation cause I am fond of reading books.

visit this site please Vertical Blinds